I'm purchasing a new vehicle--is it necessary to buy insurance before hand?

If this is the first time you have ever purchased a vehicle, you must buy auto insurance, especially if you are financing the car. The financer will most likely have you purchase a coverage policy that has comprehensive and collision coverage.

If you have previously owned a vehicle, your current auto insurance will cover your new car for 30 days. However, after the 30 days are up, you will have to talk to an agent about getting the new vehicle insured--it's not automatic!
Liability insurance is not required in all states (Texas requires it by law!). Please contact us if you have any questions.

Is there anything I should consider before purchasing auto insurance?

No two people in the world are the same, and so it is with auto insurance. Each policy is unique, tailored to each driver. That being said, you should consider exactly what you need--is liability insurance going to be enough? Should you purchase comprehensive coverage? Auto Insurance can be confusing, but it doesn't have to be--that's where our experts can help you decide what you need.

How can I make my premium lower?

Your auto insurance premium is generally determined by the deductible of your plan--that is, what you pay out of pocket before your insurance takes over. A higher deductible can mean lower premiums over the long run.

There is also the age of your vehicle to take into consideration as well. For older vehicles with higher mileage, it may simply no longer make sense to have collision coverage as if you are ever in an accident, the cost to repair the vehicle may actually far exceed the actual market value of your vehicle. It's always best to talk to an agent to figure out what excactly fits your needs.

Uninsured Driver Protection

While in most states you're required to have at least liability insurance, unfortunately sometimes people don't even have that. What happens if you're in an accident with them? Who will pay for the damages to your vehicle, or if you have to stay in a hospital?


This is why it's important to be protected against uninsured drivers. Uninsured motorist coverage is required by law in many states and covers pain and suffering caused by an accident with an insured driver, as well as property damage that might be incurred.

I've been in an accident--what should I do?

An accident can be confusing and hectic, but it's important to keep a clear head and follow these steps to make sure you don't miss anything:

1. Make sure that the other person is alright and that neither of you are in immediate danger.

2. Notify the police immediately

3. Take down all possible details of the person that you are in the accident with--Name, Phone number, Insurance company, as well as their policy number and other information that you feel might be important. Be thorough.

4. Contact your insurance agent / insurance company as soon as possible with all of the details of the accident.

5. Your agent will guide you through on what to do next.

I've gotten a speeding ticket--what does this mean?

If this is your first speeding ticket, don't fret, there are options. Your officer will actually give you a court date where you can argue your case before a judge. It's important to keep this court date and all other documentation that you receive from the officer--don't simply ignore it!


At your court case you may request a defensive driving course, in which case the judge may simply dismiss your ticket after successfully completing it. It's important to pay all fees requested by your ticket on time. Again, don't simply ignore it! Ignoring your ticket won't make it go away.


If this is your first offense, odds are that if you take a defensive driving course and your ticket is dismissed, your insurance rates will not go up. Informing your insurance company if this isn't your first offense is still important.


If I rent a car, will my personal policy cover it?

Many states require that your insurance company insure a car that you are renting, but it varies by company policy. Contact your insurance company to find out for certain.


Which coverage pays for damages to my vehicle?

This depends on the excact type of coverage your policy has. If your car is stolen, vandalized by a theif, catches fire, or is hit by an animal, comprehensive coverage will take care of the damages.


If your car is damaged by an impact of some kind (crashing into something) then collision coverage will take care of the damages.


Both of these types of coverage are optional on your policy; you should consult your agent for the best types of coverage for you.


Back to FAQs